Everyone interested in fitness has heard of pre-workout. What about thermogenic pre-workouts? Which are the top rated pre-workout supplements?
Top 10 Rated Pre-Workout Supplements
The main goal of thermogenic pre-workout supplements is to do exactly what normal pre-workouts do, with the bonus of burning fat. If you’re looking to lose weight and boost your metabolism while having an intense workout, try them out.
This article will break down the ingredients and best uses for each. You can decide which is the best thermogenic pre-workout for your needs. Are pre-workouts really necessary for training?
Here are our best thermogenic pre-workouts and how they can help you meet your fitness goals.
Alpha Lion – Superhuman Burn Pre Workout
This pre-workout promises to increase strength and endurance and provide laser-like focus without a crash. It includes two forms of caffeine and L-theanine, providing powerful energy to get you through intense workouts.
- Niacin 12.5 mg
- Caffeine Anhydrous 150 mg
- L-citrulline Malate 3500 mg
- L-taurine 500 mg
- Nitrosigine 375 mg
- S7 50 mg
- Beta Alanine 1600 mg
- Betaine Anhydrous 1250 mg
- L-Theanine 175 mg
Alpha Lion – Superhuman Burn Pre Workout – Stim-Free
This fat-burning pre-workout delivers a powerful pump for those looking to take a break from caffeine or are working out late at night. Lion’s Mane is a nootropic that will provide extensive focus during the workout.
- L-Citrulline Malate – 8000mg
- S7 – 150mg
- HydroPrime – 3000mg
- Beta-Alanine – 3500mg
- Pink Sea Salt – 350 mg
- Organic’s Lion Mane – 600mg
- AlphaSize – 300mg
Evulution Nutrition ENGN Shred
This supplement is great for anyone looking for added focus and energy while training.
- Beta-Alanine – 1600mg
- Betanine Anhydrous – 1000mg
- Choline Bitartrate – 500mg
- L-Tyrosine – 500mg
- L-Carnitine – 500mg
- Caffeine – 250mg
- Capsimax Cayenne – 25mg
- Olive Leaf Extract – 25mg
Apollon Nutrition – Black Tulip
This product is fully loaded to provide maximum thermogenic effects as it contains many key fat-burning ingredients. It has zero fillers and maximizes cardio and endurance while accelerating fat loss.
- Beta Alanine – 3200 mg
- Betaine Anhydrous – 2500 mg
- L-tyrosine – 2000 mg
- L-Carnitine – 2000 mg
- Caffeine Anhydrous – 175 mg
- Di-Caffeine Malate – 135 mg
- Synephrine HCL – 120 mg
- Hordenine HCI – 100 mg
- AstraGin – 50 mg
- Noopept – 30 mg
Jacked Factory – Nitro Surge Shred
Nitro Surge Shred provides a boost that helps burn fat quicker while maintaining lean muscle mass. It also boosts nitric oxide levels to provide powerful pumps in the gym.
- L-Citrulline – 2 g
- Beta-Alanine – 1.6 g
- Acetyl – L-Carnitine – 1 g
- Caffeine Anhydrous – 180 mg
- L-Theanine – 90 mg
- Theobromine – 50 mg
- BioPerine – 2.5 mg
Muscleforce – Defiant Shredded – Best Hardcore Thermogenic Pre-Workout
Defiant will boost the metabolism and speed up the thermogenesis process, providing a boost through strenuous workouts without a crash afterward. This increases mental focus while building lean muscle.
- L-carnitine – 1500 mg
- Beta-alanine 800 mg
- Caffeine – 150 mg
- L-Theanine – 100 mg
- 2-aminoisoheptane – 62.5 mg
- InnoSlim – 62.5 mg
- NeuroFactor – 50 mg
- AstraGin – 25 mg
- Synephrine – HCL 15 mg
- Alpha-Yohimbine – 0.5 mg
Huge Supplements – Wrecked
This is a very strong pre-workout meant for those who need an extreme boost in their workout. Just by looking at the ingredients you’ll see why this is a favorite.
- Citrulline Malate – 9000mg
- Beta Alanine – 3200mg
- Betanine Anhydrous – 2000mg
- Agmatine Sulfate – 1250mg
- L-Tyrosine – 1000mg
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom – 600mg
- Inositol Hexanicotinate – 250mg
- Caffeine Anhydrous – 250mg
- Di-Caffeine Malate – 100mg
- Hordenine HCL – 100mg
- Himalayan Pink Salt – 100mg
- S7 – 100mg
- Higenamine HCL – 50mg
- Theobromine – 50mg
AlphaLion – Gains Candy CaloriBurn
This product is not a pre-workout, but it can be added to your favorite pre-workout. CaloriBurn activates good metabolic fat tissue, elevates energy expenditure, and increases calorie burning effects. Grains of Paradise, provides a thermogenic effect without the use of stimulants.
- Grains of Paradise Seed Extract (6-Paradol 12.5%) – 40mg
Alpha Neon – Darkside Onslaught Pre-Workout
Darkside Onslaught is for experienced pre-workout users who want to up their stimulant intake and have an insane workout. It has all the best stimulants, nootropics, and pump ingredients combined.
- L-Citrulline – 7000mg
- Glycerol Monostearate – 2500mg
- N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine – 1000mg
- Alpha GPC – 500mg
- Caffeine Anhydrous – 300mg
- Lion’s Mane – 300mg
- N-Methyltyramine HCL – 120mg
- L-Theanine – 50mg
- Paradoxine (grains of paradise) – 45mg
Alpha Neon Darkshred
This fat-burning pre-workout provides extreme pumps in the gym with its high ingredient doses. It has a few different extracts to help boost the metabolism and burn fat. Taurine and guarana are ingredients found in energy drinks that provide long-lasting energy.
- L-carnitine – 1.5 g
- Grains of paradise – 50 mg
- Caffeine – 350 mg
- L-theanine – 200 mg
- Guarana – 200 mg
- Taurine – 1.6 g
- White willow bark – 200 mg
- Dandelion extract – 700 mg
- Horsetail extract – 500 mg
The main goal of a thermogenic pre-workout is to create the process of thermogenesis in the body. Thermogenesis is a metabolic process where the body burns calories to produce heat. The increase of body temperature leads to the burning of calories which is the primary goal when trying to burn fat.
They also boost the metabolism to break down food faster, which increases the body’s ability to convert fats into energy.
How Do I Choose a Thermogenic Pre-Workout?
Look for a fully disclosed ingredient label. If the nutrition label contains a proprietary blend, that is a red flag. This means they are not stating what exactly is in the formula. They can be under dosing ingredients or using cheap fillers to save money.
Ensure that an ingredient label reads full disclosure, meaning that they label every ingredient found in the pre-workout.
Decide how much caffeine you want to consume. Supplement companies constantly add more caffeine into their pre-workout supplements. Every new version has an added caffeine boost.
Caffeine is suitable for most people to consume. However, if you are caffeine sensitive, you may want to choose a pre-workout with lower caffeine content. The best way to find out is to start small. Start with a half dose of pre-workout and see how it affects you. Assess your tolerance as needed
Make sure ingredients aren’t significantly under dosed – Decide how much of each ingredient the pre-workout should contain. Research and compare the amount of each ingredient to other pre-workouts.
Find a brand you trust. Reading ratings and reviews are a great way to see if customers are happy or have issues with the company. There’s a high chance it’s a safe product to purchase if their pre-workout supplement is available at multiple supplement retailers.
Thermogenic Pre-Workout Advice?
It’s important to remember that a thermogenic pre-workout is not a magic pill. If you are eating healthy and in a caloric deficit, they will aid the body’s ability to burn fat. However, you cannot eat a poor diet and expect them to work.
Don’t exceed the recommended serving size on the ingredient label. Stimulants are dangerous if taken more than recommended. Don’t take pre-workout products at nighttime unless they are stim-free as they will mess with your sleep schedule.
If you are in a cutting or dieting phase then a thermogenic pre-workout is a great choice for you. If you struggle with weight gain then these products are not for you. If you are caffeine or stimulant sensitive, then they are also not a good idea.
Key Thermogenic Pre-Workout Ingredients
Here is a list of the best ingredients to promote thermogenesis in the body while working out.
- MitoBurn – MitoBurn or L-Baiba is known as an exercise mimicking supplement that boosts the metabolism. It has proven to increase fatty acid oxidation, increase BHB levels, and improve insulin sensitivity.
- Synephrine – This ingredient plays a role in sports performance, appetite control, energy, mental focus, and cognition. All aid in workout performance and fat loss. Synephrine exerts metabolic enhancement without acting as a central nervous system stimulant.
This means it will not increase blood pressure or negatively affect the heart. Defiant Shredded and Black Tulip both contain this ingredient.
- Grains of Paradise – This aromatic spice helps heal wounds, provides antioxidants, has anti-inflammatory properties, and aids in weight loss. Clinical trials have shown that grains of paradise reduce white adipose fat tissue.
- 5-HTP – 5-HTP has many benefits, such as increasing serotonin production in the brain. High serotonin levels affect mood, sleep, and weight loss. It also helps increase feelings of fullness, allowing the consumer to eat less. Testosterone and growth hormone are released during sleep, so sleep is very important for anyone in the gym and is also when the muscles rebuild.
- White willow bark – Willow bark acts similarly to aspirin as it is used to treat pain, which helps with muscle soreness and recovery after a challenging workout.
- InnoSlim – InnoSlim is used to manage weight, blood sugar levels, and energy levels. It helps fight metabolic imbalance, allowing the metabolism to break down foods faster. InnoSlim also improves insulin sensitivity, which aids in fat burning. It is found in Defiant Shredded. The recommended dosage is 250mg, meaning that Defiant Shredded is under dosed.
- Yohimbe – Yohimbine promotes the release of nitric oxide. Nitric oxide widens the blood vessels so that nutrients can travel to the muscles faster, which also increases contractions in the gym. It is found in Defiant Shredder pre-workout. Dosage is around 6-18mg, meaning that Defiant is under dosing.
- Capsaicin – Capsaicin has been shown to increase energy metabolism and exercise endurance in studies, which allows you to work out longer and harder, breaking down more muscle fibers.
- EGCG – Supplementation with the green tea extract, EGCG increases fat oxidation during exercise. It does so by inhibiting enzymes that reduce the degradation of catecholamines.
Adrenaline and noradrenaline are catecholamines that use fat for fuel during exercise. This saves muscle glycogen during workouts and burns fat.
- L-carnitine – L-carnitine has been shown to improve exercise performance, recovery, reduce muscle soreness, and increase oxygen supply to muscles. L-carnitine is a very popular and well-researched supplement, as it is found in every thermogenic pre-workout listed above, except for Alpha Lion stim free.
Guide for Using a Thermogenic Pre-Workout
If you are a beginner in the gym, pre-workouts probably aren’t the best to be using. Many people create a caffeine addiction by using pre-workout products. They get to the point where they have to take a higher dosage as their body becomes used to it.
Caffeine in high amounts can be dangerous. Pre-workouts contain high amounts of caffeine when double-dosing is dangerous. Pre-workout supplements are for advanced lifters who want to add intensity into their training.
Even advanced lifters should not abuse pre-workouts as they can build a tolerance. Caffeine breaks should be taken every once in a while, so this does not happen.
Are Thermogenic Pre-Workouts Safe?
They are safe as long as you take the recommended dose and follow the instructions label. Staying hydrated and not combining them with any other medications or caffeine is vital for safety.
If you are sensitive to any of the ingredients found in a supplement, you should find a different pre-workout. Watch out for products with artificial sweeteners, proprietary blends, or ones that haven’t been third-party tested.
The best way to determine if a product is safe is to see how it affects your body. If it is causing issues, then you should either find a new product or not use pre-workout.
Leave any questions or comments below and I’ll get back to you!